Jun 3, 2009

Run-Walk-Run

I am not a runner, I am a jogger. I jog, not because I enjoy it, but because I don't want to get fatter, and many things I do enjoy require a degree of physical fitness.

Huck really cuts into my frisbee/volleyball/basketball etc, so I've been jogging a little more regularly recently, often pushing a jog stroller.

I don't get too worked up about pace, but lately I've been very slow, creeping well above 10 minute miles when I have Huck in tow. I was primed to be susceptible to advice, which came in the form of an NYT article . (Yes I know its annoying to endlessly cite the Times and NPR, get over it)

The gist of the article and a companion piece here is that breaking up a run into running and walking intervals can be a good training technique and can actually INCREASE speed. Adding in walk/rest periods contributes so much recovery that you can offset the walking with faster running during the run intervals. At first glance, it seemed bogus, but then there were quotes from folks finishing marathons under 4 hours using the technique. I was also compelled by the notion that run-walk-run could reduce fatigue and injury.

Anywho, on today's jog I alternated 4 minute running periods with 1 minute walking periods and low and behold I cut 4 or 5 minutes off my route, with a total pace right around 10 minutes per mile. It feels like cheating to walk in the middle of a run and it doesn't keep your heart rate as high as long, but it's a training tool worth trying if you aren't alrealy a superstar.

2 comments:

the librarian said...

Testimonial time: My Team in Trainig coach was a fan of this technique, especially for beginning runners. I think that using it is the only thing that allowed me to complete my training and do the marathon. And I am convinced that I recovered better and had fewer problems from using it.

Anonymous said...

if fat loss and general physical improvement are your goal, you should investigate High Intensity Interval Training, possibly just a slightly faster version of what you are already doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training